Do you feel that you are doing everything you can for your health but are still lacking energy, struggling to lose weight, feeling stressed, lacking mental strength and having low mood? Sleeping might just be the key to unlocking your health potential. For most, sleeping for at least 7 hours a night, is essential for good health.
What happens when you do not get enough sleep?
• You are more likely to make unhealthy food and lifestyle choices – When you are not getting enough sleep, your metabolism slows down and your appetite goes up, causing you to consume more food than needed, often unhealthy sugar rich foods to give you an instant energy boost.
• Impacts memory, concentration and ability to learn.
• Interferes with problem solving and rational thought.
• Greater risk of accidents.
• More prone to making mistakes and bad decisions.
• Leads to weight gain.
• Increases stress and anxiety.
• Increase risk factors for diseases such as diabetes and heart disease.
• Premature aging – leads to breakdown of collagen which ages the skin.
• Kills sex drive.
• Can cause/contribute to low mood and depression.
• Weakens the immune system – your body now has a harder time mounting a response to fight off an infection.
Benefits and importance of getting enough sleep:
• Sleep is a natural appetite suppressant and getting enough sleep can
literally stop or minimise your cravings the minute we start getting enough, and is therefore a powerful way to promote weight loss, which is often over looked.
• Reduce stress.
• Live longer.
• Improve our relationships.
• Improve our tolerance.
• Improves mood – reduce anger and irritation.
• Needed for concentration, memory and productivity.
• Help us to be creative in our work, solving our problems etc.
• Improve our sociability and desire to get out and do things.
• Improve the quality of our work output.
• Increase our motivation for exercise.
• Reduce inflammation in the body.
• Reduce you risk of certain diseases such as type 2 diabetes.
• Reduce headaches/migraines.
• Sleep is important for optimal immune function.
• Help to balance hormones.
• You feel happier, positive, motivated and ready to tackle each day.
IF YOU FEEL THAT SLEEP IS HAMPERING YOUR WAY TO ENJOY OPTIMAL HEALTH AND YOU WANT TO IMPROVE THE QUALITY AND AMOUNT OF SLEEP, SPEAK TO A HEALTH COACH TODAY.